Monday, February 13, 2012

love.

Love is the greatest accomplishment one can achieve in life. Whether it's the love of family, lover, or friends, it can literally change the course of one's life forever. 
It's the strongest emotion we can feel; why do you think there are so 
many songs, poems, and stories about love?  
 When you are in love, you are willing to fight through the difficult times, because the good outweighs the bad. You aren't blind to each other's faults or oddities; you embrace them because they make your loved one even more special. 

As a hopeful romantic, I struggle with the concept of Valentines Day.

Since I have been single for all of my previous Valentines Days, I have never really celebrated it. I've never been a fan of it, but I also don't hate it like a lot of my fellow peers seem to.

But for this Valentine's Day I am in a wonderful and very happy relationship, so I have been questioning my stance on V-Day.

Here it is.

While Valentines Day is over commercialized, cheesy, expensive, and sometimes tasteless it's also just a day to celebrate the best thing about humanity... our capability to love.
I know I've used this quote from Hank Green before, but it is so perfect I need to use it again to make my point.

"Loving each other is pretty much the most important thing we do. It's not just the reason the each of us as individuals exist, it's the reason why our species and our civilization exist. It's the only reason why we can do the marvelous, magnificent human things!" 


I choose to celebrate V-Day because I think love is pretty awesome. Sure, I can celebrate my relationship on my anniversary but I guess I don't have a real problem with having another reason to spend some quality time with the best guy I know. None of the expensive dates, presents, or mushy gushy love letters.
Spending some good ol' quality time with Matthew is the only thing I asked for this V-Day.

And flowers, because I really, really, REALLY like flowers. :)

So whether you agree or disagree with me...

I wish you all a very Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment