Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day Twenty. What is your opinion on gay marriage?

I should rephrase this question to "What is your opinion on marriage?"

My response is simple: 
I believe that everyone should have the right to marry whomever they love. 

People often use Christian morals to back up their belief in that marriage is only between a man and a woman. When it comes to our government, we can't involve religion in order to decide what is right and what is wrong. People might turn up their noses by me saying that, since I am a Christian, but Jesus told us to love everyone. His message was never about hate. It was one of loving our neighbors as ourselves. How would you feel if heterosexual marriage was viewed as immoral and unnatural and your marriage was deemed illegal? We are not a theocracy, we are a democracy. This shouldn't be a religious issue, or even a political one! I believe that it is a basic human right to marry and by placing laws against gay marriage, we are denying a basic human right to many people in the United States.

I have many friends that are gay and it really upsets me when I hear people say that they don't have the right to marry their loved one. In fact, a few months ago I told one of my best friends that I can't wait for the day that I get to watch her marry the woman she loves. And I know that she is just as excited to see me marry the man I love. 

And since I love to quote my favorite Green brothers, I'll end this blog with a quote from Hank Green from this video that he posted 6 months ago.

"This isn't a political issue. It's just deciding that we're going to treat some citizens of our country differently than the other citizens. And that's wrong." 

No comments:

Post a Comment