EVERYONE MUST READ THE HARRY POTTER SERIES.
And the Hunger Games trilogy.
1. The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hasseini. I read both books in high school and they both left a huge impact on me. Their stories tell a lot about human struggle and triumph, as well as true friendship.
2. Looking For Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. All of these are Young Adult literature, but the best on the shelf right now. All have their own very different stories and cover topics ranging from child prodigies, cancer, road trips, and falling in love for the first time.
3. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. One of the most twisted novels I've ever read, but also one of the top five best books I've ever read too. If you don't like drugs, sex, alcohol, religion, the mentally ill, or Medieval Germany you might not want to read this book. Otherwise, you better pick it up right now.
4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I already wrote a blog about the movie and the book is just as fantastic. SO READ IT.
5. Bossy Pants by Tina Fey. I've never laughed so hard reading a book before.