Saturday, March 19, 2011

loser.freak.geek.dork.nerd.weird.

One thing I've never understood is why people use the word "nerd" in a negative connotation. 
I think being a nerd is the most awesome thing ever. However, there are people out there that seem to think that if you like video games, reading, dragons, and other nerdy things, that you are a bad person. 

Why is that?

Is it because we have enough confidence in ourselves, that we don't feel the need to put others down? 

In my own life, I have had to deal with haters in a couple different cases. 
In high school, I was a member of the theatre company, and because of that, people would stereotype us as "theatre nerds," and they didn't mean it in a good way. We were thought of as weird, strange and different, because we enjoyed spending our time acting and being in the company. 
Also, I have heard people make fun of me because I am a proud Harry Potter nerd. They think it's "stupid," "pointless," and "fanatic" for me to actually have something in my life that I enjoy. 

I guess I've just never understood why people feel the need to make fun of people for being different. I am friends with a lot of different people, and I am the type of person that finds beauty in everyone. We all have passions in life, and no one deserves to be made fun of for their passions. To be blunt, we just need to stop the hate. Who cares if that person likes studying medieval battle tactics, or that person likes fairies? So what if that person has red hair, or that person is a Muslim, or that person is homosexual? 
Instead of trying to find faults in each other, we should be working together to make this world a better place. 
Instead of hate, let's try some love. 

I'm going to end this post with a quote by the great Albus Dumbledore. It's one of my personal favorites, because it can be applied to today's world so perfectly. Substitute "Lord Voldemort" with ignorance, hatred, or narrow-mindedness, and you'll see what I mean.

"Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." -Albus Dumbledore.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment