Tuesday, March 20, 2012

2 days and 12 hours...

...until I'm sitting in the movie theatre waiting to FINALLY see The Hunger Games movie.

I'm actually kind of in a grumpy mood today because I don't think I can wait much longer.

I want to swoon over Peeta. I want to cheer for Katniss. I want to cry over Rue. I want to curse the Capitol. I want to feel the same exhilaration and thrill I did when I first read the book three years ago.

A lot of people have been going all ga-ga over comparing The Hunger Games to Twilight and Harry Potter, which is completely ridiculous.

Hunger Games: a book about government, freedom, independence, and violence
Twilight: a book about a girl needing a boy to survive
Harry Potter: a book about awesome

While Harry Potter will always be my FAVORITE book series (of all time, ever.) I am really happy that so many people are reading The Hunger Games. I think it's safe to say that I know more people that have read Katniss's story than have read Harry's.
And I'm a big enough HP fan to realize why that is.

1. Hunger Games is much shorter than HP. While I enjoyed reading all seven books, the average person just doesn't enjoy reading that much. All three HG books are short and easy to read, which is perfect for the average reader.
2. HP is about magic and considered to be fantasy. HG is more realistic/futuristic fiction. People are more drawn to HG's plot than one of fantasy and magic, because, to be frank, people don't like using their imagination anymore.

I say this not to say that Hunger Games is trash compared to Harry Potter. I say it, because I think they are two completely different series, and one is just naturally going to attract more readers. I also have noticed that people who don't enjoy reading, like my little brother and one of my best friends, loved reading the books.
So, if the Hunger Games are making more people read, I think that's the best thing EVER.

So until my next blog post, which will be my review of the movie, may the odds be ever in your favor.


Oh, Peeta! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment