Tuesday, June 14, 2011

favorite literary characters.

I should be cleaning my room, but I couldn't resist writing this blog.

1) Hermione Granger: I know I'm not the only girl out there that can relate to Hermione. She is an inspiration to so many, because of her confidence, loyalty, intelligence, and determination. Without Hermione, Harry would have been screwed all the way back in the Sorcerer's Stone when they first ran into the forbidden third floor corridor and met Fluffy. Hermione is the strongest female character I have ever encountered in young adult literature, and I would even wager to say of all literature. She sets a true example of what all little girls should aspire to be, especially ones with overly curly and bushy hair. <3

2) Peeta Mellark: Call me a nerd for saying this, but I wish boys in real life were like Peeta. I think I might shock a lot of you when I say this, but I would choose Peeta over Ron any day. (Don't doubt my love for Ron though. He is still the sexiest ginger ever.)  I honestly think he's the best character in "The Hunger Games" series. While re-reading the series, this has become even more apparent to me. While Katniss is a good character, Peeta is the true star. Like Katniss says all through out "Catching Fire," Peeta is better than all of them.  He puts everyone else before himself, he is kind and gentle, he is intelligent and a genuinely good person. Peeta has always been my favorite, ever since I first read "The Hunger Games" and unless Josh Hutcherson really screws his character up in the upcoming movie, I don't see that changing anytime soon!

3) Ron Weasley: Loyal. Funny. Quick-tempered. Ginger. Protective. Brave. Those, and more, come to mind when I think of my favorite red-head. Him and Hermione will always be my favorite HP characters, which is fitting since they are also the best couple in the whole wide world. I guess the main reason I love Ron is because he is not perfect. Throughout the series, he struggles and fights with himself and others. He has to grow up a lot and become the hero, while Harry was pretty much thrusted into that role.

4) Alanna the Lioness: When I first stumbled across "The Song of the Lioness" quartet in the 8th grade, it quickly become a favorite series. Alanna was one of the main reasons. She is such a unique and fun character to read about. Her personal strength and determination is extremely admirable; I don't think I would ever be able to become a woman knight and endure all the hardships she had to in order to earn her shield. Her story fascinated me 5 years ago, and it is still an all-time favorite today.

5) Laura Ingalls: I grew up on her stories. They are my most worn out books on my bookshelf, even more than Harry Potter! I don't really know why I love her stories, other than they were just simple, realistic stories about a little girl growing up in the prairie. To this day, I plan on visiting all of her homes in the USA. I think it will make a perfect road trip someday!

6) Percy Jackson: I wish I had learned about Percy way earlier than a year ago. I feel like such an impostor when I say I'm a Percy fan, because the first time I read his books were this winter. But, I guess it's better late than never right? I have always looooved mythology, and Percy's story is such a thrill to read, because of the combination of mythology and present day life. Percy is such a fun, sarcastic, strong character. If only he was a little bit older, I wouldn't feel like such a cougar. :P

7) Evie Millward: I realize that most of you will read that name and be like "Who?" See, Evie isn't a book character. She is a character from the play "The Distaff Side" by John Van Druten. If you read the title of this blog carefully, you will notice that I said favorite LITERARY characters, meaning characters from any form of literature, plays included! Anyway, why is Evie a favorite? Well, part of it is because I played her when my high school theatre company put on a production of 'The Distaff Side." It wasn't always an easy ride. I really struggled with trying to understand Evie, because she is a middle-aged widow, whose life experiences are vastly different than my own. What I decided was that Evie was a compassionate and wise woman, who loved fiercely and wanted only the best for the ones she loved. She was someone that I could see myself admiring in real life. Evie will always hold a special place in my heart, and is my favorite part I have had so far.

8) Jonathon of Conte: Best. Royal. Ever. He is another huge reason I love "The Song of the Lioness" quartet. He wasn't always the nicest person, and sometimes all I wanted to do was chuck my book across the wall because of his immaturity... but in the end, I think Jon lived up to his potential and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment