Saturday, November 19, 2011

tragic history.

I love History.
I wouldn't be majoring in it if I didn't.
But sometimes, it can be really hard to learn about the tragedies humanity has endured over the years.

In my HST 102 class this week we had one lecture on World War II and another lecture on the Holocaust. 
To hear that 50 million people lost their lives during a 6 year period is... well, just awful. 
6 million Jews lost their lives during the Holocaust. One quarter of them were from shooting operations in Eastern Europe and the other three fourths died in concentration camps. 

50,000,000 soldiers and citizens
6,000,000 Jews

I can't even begin to imagine what it was like to live in Europe during that time. 
The really tragic thing about this... is that historians believe that over 50% of the German population (as well as countless other nations) knew what was happening to the Jewish population, and did nothing.

I think the reason I'm drawn to history as a career and a passion is because we can learn about our mistakes, and how to prevent them from happening again.
I realize that genocide is still a reality for thousands around the world and that war has been around since the beginning of time and always will be.
But that doesn't mean it's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment