Friday, September 9, 2011

country at heart.

Earlier this week, I went on a long walk around Mt. Pleasant with two of my friends. It was beautiful and relaxing... but it didn't feel like home.
It was then I realized that I missed seeing corn and hay fields every day. I missed the rural landscape I was used to. So that night, another one of my friends and I went on a drive and we both were so excited when we found a dirt road and corn fields.

Spending the whole summer in my hometown was difficult most of the time, because I was used to my independence and freedom during school and I missed my college friends a lot. But I did learn something last summer and that was how much I love living in a rural community.

While I was growing up I went through different phases of liking or hating my country roots. All through out high school, I hated it. I hated country music, I hated milking cows (I don't think I will ever NOT hate milking cows though), I hated the stereotypes that came along with being from my hometown, etc.

It wasn't until this summer that I realized how wrong I was to hate all of that.
While I won't live on a farm for the rest of my life, or probably not even in my hometown, I'll always be country at heart. I don't hate country music anymore. Lady Antebellum is actually one of my favorite artists, right along with We The Kings and Lady Gaga. I'm so proud to tell people that I grew up on a farm, because I know the meaning of hard work, and I don't mind getting a little dirt under my fingernails.

I might not look like your stereotypical country girl, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I was made in rural America, and that's where my heart will always be.

Also, I secretly love demo derbys... but don't tell anyone that, I don't want people thinking I'm a major hick!

No comments:

Post a Comment